Brun Clough Reservoir and Millstone Edge, Standedge

These images from Standedge and Millstone Edge on Marsden Moor were taken near sunset on 14th March 2016.

Below: HDR panorama, Sigma 8-16mm lens on a Pentax K3 body. This is Brun Clough Reservoir at the top of Standedge Cutting, where the road goes over the top of the Pennines and then drops down from Saddleworth towards Marsden. It was built to provide water for the Huddersfield Narrow Canal and was completed in 1811. The reservoir has previously been called the Standedge Reservoir or the Floating Light Reservoir, named after the lights used by workers constructing the Standedge Tunnel, which runs immediately below the reservoir. There was a pub nearby, also called the Floating Light. This photograph is taken from close to the Saddleworth boundary, looking towards Uppermill. There’s a small free car park here, which gives access to Brun Moor, the Pennine Way and Millstone Edge on Marsden Moor.

IMGP0232-HDR-Pano-Edit

The images below are of Millsone Edge on Marsden Moor above Diggle and looking towards the remains of the Roman fort at Castleshaw in the distance. Although the fort can only be seen with a long lens when the light is appropriate, aerial photographs show it well: Castleshaw Roman Fort, Saddleworth.

© Christine Widdall